Nabta Playa calendar found in the Nubian Desert 800kl south of Cairo.
The forgotten pyramids of Sudan
High level of organization
- above-ground and below-ground stone construction,
- villages designed in pre-planned arrangements, and
- deep wells that held water throughout the year.
Religious ties to ancient Egypt
- ... there are many aspects of political and ceremonial life in the Predynastic and Old Kingdom that reflects a strong impact from Saharan cattle pastoralists...
- It makes sense, but not in a facile, direct way. You can't go straight from these megaliths to the pyramid of Djoser.