Sunday, June 5, 2011

Car Sick?




I went on a ride in the car today and we were on a winding, mountain road. It reminded me of when I was young and we would go to Stinson Beach.  The road to this particular beach is so winding and goes on for miles and miles it is just nightmarish. I don't care how beautiful it is on the scenic California Coast, I would rather drop dead then go on that road again.  There are turn-outs so that cars can pass you if you are going to slow. It is a two lane road and you must be a patient driver to be able to withstand the length of the drive.




What reminded me today of what had happened was so ridiculous.  I became instantly sick to my stomach and in less than a second had a flashback about this treacherous road.  Thinking on the trip when I was very small. The same thing happened, I got car sick, very car sick.  My step-father was driving and I am not sure he had been in that position very long.  He is also fourteen years younger than my mother, so his patience for a small child was not long.  But, I will never forget him yelling at me and getting so angry, saying that it was ridiculous and absurd that I was sick.  There was no reason for it and if I just knew how to look out the window properly (he is British) than I would not be at all ill.



I am not sure of my exact age, I was young.  They had to stop the car for me to puke.  It was quite the inconvenience and I was told that I was doing it for attention.  My mother never defended me, not one time during any ordeal actually.  She sat and smiled at the entire affair. Pleased that she no longer had to put up with such stupidity on her own.  I don't know about you, but windy roads still make me ill.  Now I become more ill because the flashback makes the entire first experience live again.  What a nightmare to keep living.  All because you are never meant to get car sick in the first place.  By the way, you are not meant to make any noise when you sneeze either.  As per my step-father who beat me for any reason he could think of, always at the time of his frustration with life or family or any other moment of rage.

No comments: