Posted 12 November 2008 20:34
set_zero: What is the mathematical memory for the sixth degree equaling the separation of the foot print for this earth.
Anotherwards, does anyone know exactly what this means or have an opinion as to its understanding?
Posted 12 November 2008 21:33
blue eclipse: The six degrees of separation refers to a state of mathematics that tries to put a pattern to the likeliness of people being linked together only separated by knowing or being acquainted with one particular person on the planet with at least six people between person 1 and person 7.
There are conflicting theories about the validity of this attempt to find a pattern, some refute the likely hood that only six people separate you from any other person... but strangely enough it only takes one or two people to make a link to someone else on the planet. It's been my experience that you just never know who the people you know might know. It's a Wild World ain't it?
Posted 12 November 2008 21:58
jeronncase: Someone tried this before and it didn't fare too well.....hopefully this time it'll get more response.
Posted 13 November 2008 01:49
set_zero: Does anyone believe that this may be connected to;
for added thought, are there opinions on either one of these subjects?
Posted 13 November 2008 02:16
Faith70: Aside from being a mathematical theory, how is it possible to accurately test this?
Maybe if we took a sample of the human population worldwide, and from the moment of birth every person that the child is/was acquainted with is recorded. Then, say by age 30 the database of names is compared to the other people in the sample...I dunno...that's not going to work either!
Obviously I'm a girl who likes scientific evidence.
It's like the question posed several months back on a thread (I think it was about 'regret'). It questioned whether you would be the same person if you went back and changed some situations because you felt 'regret' about it.
Some said 'definitely not because the sum of all your actions and experiences makes you who you are today, and if those experiences were different, then you would be too" (i agree) and some said "yes you could possibly be exactly the same and in the same circumstance because who's to say that fate wouldn't bring you to the same place' (i agree)
I guess my point is...how can any of these theories be tested?
I love the concept there being 6 degrees of separation, and that there is no such thing as a coincidence, but...I wish we could prove it!
The idea of being connected to everyone else on the planet gives me warm fuzzies...actually that could be from lack of sleep (I thought there was a spider on my arm earlier. DELUSIONAL!)
Here's another conundrum...(excuse spelling..to tired to care)...
Is there any such thing as mental telepathy?
I'd normally be skeptical but I keep having these strange experiences with it.
My newborn son (now 10 ish weeks old) wakes when I start to think of him at night when I'm between being awake and asleep.
It happened with my daughter too when she was born (not anymore).
In hospital, I'd wake and my milk would let down but he was in the 'special care nursery' (nowhere near). I'd be annoyed with myself for waking up for no good reason when I needed rest. Next thing I knew, my baby would be brought in to me for a feed! It happened over and over and still does. WHAT THA?
Posted 13 November 2008 02:26
blue eclipse: I don't think it's possible to rule out precognition or telepathy. As for the regrets issue- there is something to be said for your experiences becoming the sum of your personality to a certain extent- but I can honestly say there are certain experiences I could have done with out and been all the better for it. There are some things that happen I think because they were 'destined' to occur. Others are produced from a long line of random coincidence. But there is that variable that no one ever accounts for- free will and choice. Do we ever truly have the control to make a 'choice' contradictory to what may have been intended otherwise?
Posted 13 November 2008 18:08
Ever heard of
Cognitive Activism: New Way of Knowing
I saw this on CL (craigslist) in SF Bay Area under Groups, posted after this thread was started.
so is this coincidence? or not? and in addition to that what is it exactly?
Posted 13 November 2008 18:28
blue eclipse: i am going to extend this hypothesis- by asking these questions:
IF you rely on intuition to guide your everyday decisions and rarely depend heavily on 'logic and rationalization " are you depending on the powers that be- 'god' - the inner 'guide(9)' that leads you to fulfill your 'destiny'?
Are you countering the guiding predestined path you are intended to follow when you use pure logic and "rationalize' your choices by discounting the 'spiritual" aspects that would lead your life in a direction that does both you and all of humanity less harm and possibly enables you to be the 'vessel' that 'god' would use to counter act the evil that other people let loose on the world when they use excuses to rationalism their choices for denying personal and spiritual responsibility for their actions and choices?
Posted 13 November 2008 18:48
set_zero: Intuition means;
1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.
2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.
3. a keen and quick insight.
4. the quality or ability of having such direct perception or quick insight.
5. Philosophy. a. an immediate cognition of an object not inferred or determined by a previous cognition of the same object.
b. any object or truth so discerned.
c. pure, untaught, noninferential knowledge.
1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
4. reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
5. convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.
6. Computers. logic circuit.
1. (psychiatry) a defense mechanism by which your true motivation is concealed by explaining your actions and feelings in a way that is not threatening [syn: rationalization]
2. the cognitive process of making something seem consistent with or based on reason [syn: rationalization]
3. (mathematics) the simplification of an expression or equation by eliminating radicals without changing the value of the expression or the roots of the equation [syn: rationalization]
4. the organization of a business according to scientific principles of management in order to increase efficiency [syn: rationalization]
5. systematic organization; the act of organizing something according to a system or a rationale [syn: systematization
1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.
3. great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.
4. the possession of control or command over others; authority; ascendancy: power over men's minds.
5. political ascendancy or control in the government of a country, state, etc.: They attained power by overthrowing the legal government.
6. legal ability, capacity, or authority: the power of attorney.
7. delegated authority; authority granted to a person or persons in a particular office or capacity: the powers of the president.
8. a document or written statement conferring legal authority.
9. a person or thing that possesses or exercises authority or influence.
10. a state or nation having international authority or influence: The great powers held an international conference.
11. a military or naval force: The Spanish Armada was a mighty power.
12. Often, powers. a deity; divinity: the heavenly powers.
13. powers, Theology. an order of angels. Compare angel (def. 1).
14. Dialect. a large number or amount: There's a power of good eatin' at the church social.
15. Physics. a. work done or energy transferred per unit of time. Symbol: P
b. the time rate of doing work.
16. mechanical energy as distinguished from hand labor: a loom driven by power.
17. a particular form of mechanical or physical energy: hydroelectric power.
18. energy, force, or momentum: The door slammed shut, seemingly under its own power.
19. Mathematics. a. the product obtained by multiplying a quantity by itself one or more times: The third power of 2 is 8.
b. (of a number x) a number whose logarithm is a times the logarithm of x (and is called the ath power of x). Symbolically, y =xa is a number that satisfies the equation log y = a log x.
c. the exponent of an expression, as a in xa.
d. cardinal number (def. 2).
1. something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.
2. the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
3. the power or agency that determines the course of events.
4. (initial capital letter) this power personified or represented as a goddess.
5. the Destinies, the Fates.
Then the answer must be Yes for Me, I chose to counter the predestined path that any other intended for this one to follow, for zero means this and this is me;
1. the figure or symbol 0, which in the Arabic notation for numbers stands for the absence of quantity; cipher.
2. the origin of any kind of measurement; line or point from which all divisions of a scale, as a thermometer, are measured in either a positive or a negative direction.
3. a mathematical value intermediate between positive and negative values.
4. naught; nothing.
5. the lowest point or degree.
6. Linguistics. the absence of a linguistic element, as a phoneme or morpheme, in a position in which one previously existed or might by analogy be expected to exist, often represented by the symbol 0̷: Inflectional endings were reduced to zero. The alternate of the plural morpheme in “sheep” is zero.
7. Ordnance. a sight setting for both elevation and windage on any particular range causing a projectile to strike the center of the target on a normal day, under favorable light conditions, with no wind blowing.
8. Mathematics. a. the identity element of a group in which the operation is addition.
b. (of a function, esp. of a function of a complex variable) a point at which a given function, usually a function of a complex variable, has the value zero; a root.
Now, either I have the queerest sense of humor OR I am correct and funny and just like Mr. Blunt on the hunt for the LOVE of my life!! Just borrowing his site for a bit my friends, because I am a strange card, stuck in a deck of Aces and Jacks. Only one other person in or on this earth would like to Deal with me, (that is a pun).
Poker anyone, bets are set at Zero.
Posted 13 November 2008 18:59
blue eclipse: lol.. and that is laughter out of a keen sense of the absurdity of how rational and irrational can be the same thing.
-8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
x+y = 0
Posted 13 November 2008 19:05
blue eclipse: and if you want to delve biologically...
female- XX (gender sex)
male- XY (gender sex)
Posted 13 November 2008 21:26
set_zero: Hey Blue,
Will you run the bets for me? Doubt there would be any takers though, most are to caught up in the dream of the unreal. I personally don't think that American T.V. could compare with a trist like this one, so we can do it for the real, in REAL.
Here and now, we could prove 6 degrees of separation, how? By clocking from the first bet forward. I may be only a shallow test but it would prove all the above one way or another. What do you think?
By the way, I could feel you laugh at what I wrote and it felt good from here!! I went through a lot of posts on here from you, and I will tell you this, you have something to say and in accordance to the rules and regulations of John Mayer, he says, "Say what you want to say" and you do, don't apologize ever again.
Sixth degree my dear, hit me back!!
Trist\, n. [See Tryst.]
1. Trust. [Obs.]
2. A post, or station, in hunting. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
3. A secret meeting, or the place of such meeting; a tryst. See Tryst. [Obs.]
George Douglas caused a trist to be set between him and the cardinal and four lords; at the which trist he and the cardinal agreed finally. --Letter dated Sept., 1543.
Zero, to the 5th Dimension., 2008/11/13
Posted 13 November 2008 22:02
blue eclipse: HMM
numerically 1+5+4+3= 13
the name of an album by a rock n roll group called "Foreigner'
four= the number phonetically in Chinese apparently sounds like the word death
Am I playing with a full deck yet?
You need five cards to play a hand of poker. .. i think Five Card Stud may be just one of the variations.
A Cardinal of a Christian faith? protestant, catholic or 'other'?
Posted 13 November 2008 22:14
set_zero: Using Blue's Theory, which in advance I absolutely bet all, we have a 5th card.
numerically 2+0+0+8= 10
Is that a full enough deck? Coincidence? or what? definitely an "other"!
Posted 13 November 2008 22:30
blue eclipse: interesting
I did not really think about the numerical implications of 2008. or maybe i did but just didn't make the connection consciously.
today is a 11,13, 2008 day.
7Even Year Itch- Collective Soul sort of day perhaps? "She Said"
7 7 7 7
Posted 13 November 2008 22:38
wkdnic: Was it that night in the Carnival hall at Crompton when the two three degrees tribute acts had a mega scrap and never talkwd to each other again?
read more at http::://http://jamesblunt-s.warnerartists.com/forum/Topic92532-12-1.aspx