Sunday, January 3, 2016

America On^Line Thrice!!



Exercise 6
     Choose the correct word in these sentences:
       1.  (Who, whom) is going with me?
       2.  Give (me, I) the book.
       3.  Give it to (me, I).
       4.  Do you know whether it was (he, him)?
       5.  (We, us) boys are going.
       6.  He is as tall as (I, me).
       7.  It is better for (them, they) to go.
       8.  Divide it among (us, we) three.
       9.  (Who, whom) are the sending?
     10.  By (who, whom) was the money given?
     11.  (Who, whom) is the President of the United States?
     12.  (She, her) is going.
     13.  The boy you saw was (I, me).
     14.  Let (me, I) go.
     15.  All the boys, including John and (I, me) went.
     16.  That's (he, him).
     17.  (He, him) and (I, me) are going.
     18.  They gave (he, him) and (she, her) a present.
     19.  (Who, whom) shall I send?
     20.  I shall tell each one what (he, him) must do.

     The pronouns like me and him are called personal pronouns.  Who, whom, which,
and that are called relative pronouns when they connect a clause to the rest of the
sentence.  For example, in the sentence: The boy who went has returned, who connects
the clause who went to the noun boy.  This noun boy is called the antecedent of the
pronoun.
     In using the relative pronoun who one must be very careful whether to use who or
whom.  The rule is this: The case of a relative pronoun is determined by its use in the 
clause.  Notice these sentences:
              I know who is going.
              I know whom I sent.
              He knows who I am.
     In the fist sentence who is used in the clause as the subject of the verb; in the
second sentence it is used as object of the verb sent; and in the third sentence it is
used after the verb am, which does not take an object.  When the clause is changed
to its natural order it reads I am who in the sentence.

Exercise 7

     Use who or whom where there are blanks in these sentences:
       1.  Do you know . . . . . . we passed?
       2.  It is the one . . . . . . visited us yesterday.
       3.  I do not know . . . . . he is.
       4.  He is the boy . . . . . . does our chores.
       5.  Was it he . . . . . . we asked to help us?
       6.  I cannot say whether the man . . . . . . I saw was lame.
       7.  Were there many . . . . . . had clothes to be mended?
       8.  It was only James . . . . . . he was looking for.
       9.  He is one . . . . . . you can depend upon.
     10.  The man . . . . . . he told about it has gone.

     One must be careful about using the correct pronoun after like, as, and than.  Like
is a preposition and as is a conjunction.  In the sentence Do it as I do, as is the con-
junction that begins the clause.  It would be wrong to say Do it like I do.  It is
correct to say He looks like John, for like is a preposition.  Now when you say
He runs like me you are wrong, because what you mean is He runs as I do.  This
is one of the troublesome matters in grammar and must be carefully studied.  When
like is used, the objective case of the pronoun follows, since like is a preposition.

The Parts of Speech
_______________________________________________________________________
     
Exercise 8

     Use like or as where there are blanks, and choose between the forms in parentheses.
     1.  He looks . . . . . (I, me) but he walks . . . . . . (she, her) does.
     2.  She dresses . . . . . . I do but her hair is not . . . . . . my hair.
     3.  Do just . . . . . . I do.
     4.  If I were to do . . . . . . (he, him) (do, does) I would act . . . . . . a fool.
     5.  He looks . . . . . . if (he, him) had been ill.

     Using Verbs.  Here are the forms of the verb talk as they appear in what is
called the conjugation of a verb:

Present Tense

                  Singular   Number                                      Plural   Number

        I talk (1st person speaking)                                        We talk
        You talk (2nd person spoken to)                               You talk
        He talks (3rd person spoken of)                                They talk

Past Tense

                         I talked                                                        We talked
                         You talked                                                  You talked
                         He talked                                                    They talked

Future Tenses

                   I shall talk                                                   We shall talk
                   You will talk                                                You will talk
                   He will talk                                                  They will talk

     You will see that a verb has person (1st, 2nd, 3rd) ; number (singular and plural) ;
and tense (present, past, future).
     There are three other tenses, called the perfect tenses: Present perfect tense (I
have talked, etc.) ; past perfect tense (I had talked, etc.) ; future perfect tense (I shall
have talked, etc.).  The present perfect tense indicates action that has been completed
at the present time: I have (now) talked for an hour.  The past perfect tense indicates
action that was complete as some time in the past, before some other action in past
time, as: I had talked a long time when the bell rang.  The future perfect tense indicates
action that will be completed before some other action in future time, as: I shall
have talked an hour when the bell rings.

Exercise 9

     Name the verb forms as indicated:
      1.  The present tense, 3rd plural of the verb run.
      2.  Future 2nd singular of see.
      3.  Past perfect 3rd pl. of work.
      4.  Past 1st pl. of look.
      5.  Future 3rd pl. of go.
      6.  Future perfect 2nd pl. of reach.
      7.  Past 2nd singular of drop.
      8.  Present 1st pl. of hope.
      9.  Past perfect 2nd singular of call.
    10,  Future perfect 1st pl. of rob.

A Guide to Self-Education
_____________________________________________________________________

Exercise 10

     Use the correct forms of the verbs in parentheses.
     1.  I (finish) my lesson when recess came.
     2.  You (reach) the lake when the rest get there.
     3.  He (drop) the pencil every time he tries to pick it up.
     4.  Tomorrow we (go) to the picnic.
     5.  They (work) late yesterday.
     We have found that nouns may be used as objects of verbs.  A verb that carries
its action over into an object is called a transitive verb, while one that is complete and
does not carry the action over is called an intransitive verb.
     Find the transitive and intransitive verbs in these sentences:
     1.  He built a boat.
     2.  The boy ran into the house.
     3.  The sun set at eight o'clock.
     4.  The man set the book on the table.
     5.  We saw everything clearly.
     If the subject of the verb is the doer of the action, the verb is said to be in the
active voice ; if it is the receiver of the action, the verb is said to be in the passive voice.
     Ex. I built the boat.  The boat was built by me.

Exercise 11

     Tell which verbs in the following sentences are active and which are passive:
     1.  He was given an apple.
     2.  The tree bent in the wind.
     3.  It was made of pine.
     4.  The horse was driven by the farmer.
     5.  They have been in the field.

Exercise 12

     Rewrite these sentences, changing the active verbs to passive and the passive to
active:
     1.  Whitney invented the cotton gin.
     2.  The blossoms were blown to the ground by the wind.
     3.  The teacher wrote the word on the blackboard.
     4.  A slow curve was thrown by the pitcher.
     5.  Winter is dreaded by many because of the cold weather.
     The verb to be is called an intransitive verb, but it really is not a verb at all, for in-
stead of expressing action it serves as a connective word.  It is often called a copula.
In the sentence The boy is a hard worker the word is connects the noun boy and the
noun worker.  In the present tense, the forms of to be are: I am, you are, he is, we are,
you are, they are.  Can you tell what the forms are in the other tenses?
     Since the copula expresses no action, it does not ordinarily take the objective case
after it.  In the sentence about, worker is in the nominative case and is called a predi-
cate nominative because it is in the predicate.  One of the forms of a verb, made up of
the root of the verb preceded by the word to, is called the infinitive.  To be, to run, to
walk are infinitives.  Now when we use the infinitive to be between two nouns or pro-
nouns we must remember this rule: The verb to be takes the same case after it that is
used before it.  So in the sentence I knew the boy to be him it is necessary to use the
objective him because the noun boy is object of knew. 


WEBSTER'S
New  AMERICAN
DICTIONARY

COMPLETELY NEW AND UP TO DATE.  PLANNED AND
WRITTEN BY MODERN EDUCATORS AND LEXICOGRAPHERS
ESPECIALLY TO SERVE THE ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
OF SCHOOL, COLLEGE, AND SELF-EDUCATION AT HOME



Managing Editor
LEWIS M. ADAMS

Editor-in-chief
EDWARD N. TEALL, A.M.

C. RALPH TAYLOR, A.M.,
Author of Self-Education Department and Associate Editor;
Editor "The Home University Encyclopedia," "New American Encyclopedia,"
author of "Vital English"


Simplified Self-Education Treatises on:

GRAMMAR PUNCTUATION VOCABULARY TESTS
WRITING   PRONUNCIATION   WORDS MISPRONOUNCED
SPEAKING CAPITALIZATION  DANGER FLAGS

Illustrated -- Self-Pronouncing -- Synonyms -- Antonyms




This Dictionary is not published by the original pub-
lishers of Webster's Dictionary, or by their successors

1959
B O O K S,   I N C .
NEW  YORK
                   



No comments: